Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Our Story (The Groom)

From the perspective of the Groom (with occasional grammatical edits by the Bride)

Around september they started a regional single adult choir. I hadn't been able to be very active in Church other than the Sunday services so I decided to do it. We sang Gloria, kind of like The Messiah but easier. Then for the October General Conference the choir set up a pot luck dinner after the afternoon session on Sunday and before the rehearsal. At this dinner this cute girl sat next to me and since it was a single adult activity we were wearing name tags. This girls name happened to be Karen. So we talked a little bit then had choir practice and both left promptly after. Then the next week after rehearsal we had refreshments and my friend that I gave a ride was talking to someone so I was standing around waiting. Then I saw Karen just standing there alone with no one to talk to. So I ended up talking to her for 45 minutes before getting dragged away by my friend who was now ready to leave. The sad part being I still didn't have her phone number. On my way home I realized how stupid I was and decided to use the choir roster look her up on Facebook (yes I know thats kinda creepy but it worked). So we talked till the wee hours of the morning. For some reason I still hadn't asked her on a date, but I was planning something. 
She invited me to a dance type church event that happened to be formal if you want it to be and some how convinced me to wear my blues (don't ask me how that worked). So the next Sunday after rehearsal I asked her out for that Friday to have a picnic and ride bikes around the National Mall. We both went home and then got online and chatted some. Karen decided she couldn't wait till Friday so she invited me over to her place to watch a movie that Tuesday. So I went over and we watched Kate and Leopold (thanks to a friend I had already seen it but she hadn't). So we watched the movie and talked till it was pretty late. Then again she couldn't wait to see me. She wanted to do something the next day. I was tired and had to work the next day and so I told her if she was willing to drive into DC I would spend as much time as she wanted. So she came and we went to Subway and got dinner. Then we walked to the Capitol building and talked as we stared at the Washington Monument. Finally we got to our first date (sorta kinda, well the date that was planned first.) We had some pretty lame deli sandwiches( I was in charge of bringing the food). Then we rode our bikes around to the Washington Monument WWII Korean and Veitnam memorials. We also made it the USMC war memorial. After that we never spent more than 2 days apart until in December when she went back home to Utah.  
The following years we visited each other as much as we could and used Skype, texting, and calling to fill in the time when we weren't together. After proposing so many times I lost count I finally got her to say yes last June and we set our date for when I get home from Afghanistan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment